Assess the impact the dynamic inter-relationship of media, design and society has on the arts and communication industry.
|Inter-relationship||ACO 1.1 Assess the evolution of art forms for their impact on the arts and communication industry.
· Correlate art styles to the cultural movements that gave rise to them.
· Compare and contrast the influence various art styles have had on the arts and communication industry.
ACO 1.2 Evaluate the interaction among media, design and society to assess how each influences the other.
· Analyze the impact of media and design on personal image.
· Analyze the influence media has on perception/bias/opinion.
· Examine the influence media has on distribution of information.
· Examine the influence media and design have on fulfilling a need in society.
ACO 1.3 Evaluate innovative applications of media and design in society that have impacted the arts and communication industry.
· Compare the impact of technological advances on the arts and communication industry.
· Analyze the impact virtual communities have on society.
· Analyze the political and cultural impact of the creative use and application of media and design.
· Examine the influence that trendsetters are able to exert intentionally through the use of media and design.
· Compare how successful and unsuccessful creations in media and design influence the industry.
· Distinguish creations in media and design for their unintended impact on the industry.
Evaluate the response of media and design to meet the changing needs of a market.
|Adaptation||ACO 2.1 Analyze how shifts in market affect changes to media and design.
ACO 2.2 Evaluate how changing communication needs of a market are addressed by media and design.
· Define a market.
· Identify the needs of a market.
· Analyze when media and design adaptation is needed to respond to markets.
· Examine trends in media and design that addressed the needs of markets.
· Research what influenced past trends of media and design in markets to find patterns of influence.
· Analyze how communication needs are addressed visually by media and design.
· Analyze how communication needs are addressed audibly by media and design.
· Analyze how communication needs are addressed by media and design in one of the following areas: digital media, graphic design, animation, broadcast media, web design, gaming.
ACO 2.3 Propose media and design solutions that address the changing needs in global markets.
· Identify emerging trends in markets.
· Evaluate possible solutions that address the trends and needs in the markets.
Evaluate how elements and principles of design are integrated in various media to communicate to a specific audience.
|Elements &Principles of Design |
|ACO 3.1 Analyze how elements and principles of design in various forms of media are applied to communicate to a specific audience.
· Identify and examine how the elements of design are applied in visual media:
· Identify and examine how the principles of design are applied in visual media:
ACO 3.2 Critique how the effective integration of elements and principles of design within a variety of medium impact target audiences.
· Examine various visual media for the application of the Gestalt principle in communicating to a target audience using:
ü Figure and ground
ACO 3.3 Apply elements and principles of design to clarify, focus, or enhance a message or concept for a target audience.
· Analyze selected media and the use of positive blending techniques of multiple elements and principles of design and their impact on target audience.
· Analyze selected media and the use of conflicting blending of techniques multiple elements and principles of design and their impact on target audience.
· Compare and contrast how elements and principles of design are used to communicate an idea to a specific audience.
· Identify and differentiate target audiences.
· Define and select target audience.
· Analyze how a single message can affect audiences differently.
· Apply elements and principles of design in a particular medium to develop messages to elicit specific responses for a targeted audience.
Use effective communication techniques to facilitate positive outcomes.
|ACO 4.1 Devise communication strategies to promote individual accountability and team success.
· Identify team members that would lead to positive outcomes which includes client.
· Recognize the traits, skills, and differences among individuals that lead to effective collaboration.
· Use the strengths of each team member to meet goals and to facilitate positive outcomes.
· Explain the relationship between individual/group behavior and the following: project deadline, leadership style, morale, productivity, roles and responsibilities to identify strategies needed to facilitate positive outcomes.
· Demonstrate active listening to engage in effective communication.
· Use constructive criticism to facilitate positive outcomes.
· Demonstrate how to receive, give and engage in appropriate constructive criticism.
|ü Interpersonal Communication||ACO 4.2 Use effective oral, written, and non-verbal communication skills to facilitate positive interactions.
· Demonstrate proper oral, written, and presentation skills to convey a message.
· Assess how the appropriate use of oral, written, and non-verbal communication creates a more positive environment.
· Compare and contrast appropriate professional behavior and social interaction skills while interacting with different audiences, management, coworkers, or clients in various work environments to adapt to diverse situations and promote positive outcomes.
ü Inclusive vs. exclusive language
ü Focus on solutions oriented approach
ü Focus on building trust through honesty and integrity
ü Demonstrate respect, tact, listening and patience
· Evaluate the importance of both first and lasting impressions to maintain professional relationships in
ü Body language
ü Appropriate speaking volume and tone
ü Appropriate language
|ü Client Interaction||ACO 4.3 Apply appropriate interpersonal skills to establish positive and sustained relationships with clients.
· Apply communication strategies to elicit customer need and expectations.
· Examine and implement professional behavior that provides excellent service to build and sustain positive relationships with clients.
ü Ask questions
ü Confirm information
ü Responsiveness – respond quickly to inquiries, anticipate and communicate needs
ü Accountability – meet deadlines, follow through on agreements
ü Consistent dialogue – regular meetings
ü Responsibility – identify opportunities, rectify problem situations
Create a deliverable using problem-solving techniques to address client needs or target audience.
||ACO 5.1 Apply problem-solving techniques to create deliverables that address the needs of a client or target audience.
1. EMPATHIZE with the target market to understand who they are, what they want/need.
2. DEFINE the issue that needs to be solved or goal that needs to be met.
3. RESEARCH the target market, history of issue, past examples that met goals and obtain client’s opinion.
4. FORMULATE IDEAS that lead to solutions using tools and techniques that may include the following:
5. EXPERIMENT to combine, expand and refine ideas; create multiple drafts; obtain feedback from client/target market/others.
a. Brainstorming/Mind Mapping
b. Word Association
c. Thumbnail Sketching
6. SELECT the response that meets target market’s needs.
7. DEVELOP an implementation plan to create product or service.
8. DESIGN a product or service.
9. EVALUATE to gather feedback from target market, client and others to determine if solution met goal.
10. REVISE/ADAPT plans to changing resources, criteria or objectives.
Adhere to laws, regulations and ethical codes to ensure professional integrity in the creation of products and services.
|Legal and Ethical Issues||ACO 6.1 Analyze the use of copyright and proprietary information in arts and communication to facilitate responsible, legal and ethical behavior.|
· Examine steps for securing permission to use copyrighted materials for use in print and/or broadcast media that are in accordance with the laws to prevent legal consequences.
· Distinguish when information is proprietary and determine the constraints regarding its use.
ü Distinguish when and how credit is given for original content
ü Apply proper credit for use of copyrighted material once permission is granted
· Examine the guidelines defining Fair Use to determine how and if copyrighted material can be used.
ü Demonstrate how credit is given for use of proprietary information
ü Apply proper credit for use of proprietary information
ü Identify the purpose and character of the use
ü Identify the nature of the copyrighted work
ü Identify the amount and substantiality of the portion used
ü Identify the effect of the use upon the potential market
|ACO 6.2 Examine ethical issues in arts and communications to make appropriate decisions related to clients, co-workers and society.|
· Apply general codes of ethics to maintain professionalism.
· Analyze how ethical issues of arts and communication impact the industry.
ü Maintain confidentiality
ü Put client’s best interest first
ü Conflict of interest is absent
ü Balanced coverage
ü Keep out personal biases
· Assess the balance between transparency and maintaining confidentiality.
ü Impact of Internet on society
ü Public right to know vs. individual right to privacy
ü Use/influence of mass media
Integrate safe and healthy practices to promote workplace efficiency and productivity.
|Safety & Health||ACO 7.1 Analyze the beneficial effects that safe and healthy work habits have on productivity that improve workplace efficiency.
· Identify and assess different work environments that promote safe and healthy work habits which positively effects productivity and efficiency.
ACO 7.2 Apply practices to maintain a safe and healthy work environment in relation to careers in the Arts and Communication Pathway.
· Identify and assess potential safety concerns to self and others to ensure a safe working environment. Safety concerns may include:
· Explain the purpose and function of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), Hawaii Occupational Safety and Health (HIOSH) to understand the guidelines for workplace safety.
ü High Risk Activity/Injuries
ü Proper Handling of Tools/Equipment
ü Hostile work environment
· Utilize effective processes and techniques to prevent injury or illness in the work environment.