Create and manage organizational systems to promote quality service.
|PCO-1.1 Evaluate organizational structures and the interaction between various groups (administration, support staff, public relations, etc.) including their differentiated roles and responsibilities.|
· Outline an organizational structure to determine the interdependence among the various groups.
· Critique the roles and responsibilities of public and human service providers within a subsystem and their interaction to create quality service.
· Explain the role of feedback (recommendations, commendations, constructive criticism, etc.) within an organization and how it impacts service excellence.
|Processes and Procedures||PCO-1.2 Analyze protocol and the processes and procedures in organizational structures to maintain consistency of service.|
· Examine the purpose of protocol and its relationship to service excellence.
· Evaluate processes and procedures in a selected organization to determine impact on the consistency of service excellence.
· Compare and contrast how organizations manage waste, efficiency, and cost as it affects the level of service.
|Delivery of Service|
Internal and External
|PCO-1.3 Analyze how service excellence promotes positive outcomes for internal and external clients.|
· Compare and contrast service delivery techniques for internal and external clients.
· Assess how personal behaviors affect the delivery of quality internal and external service.
· Anticipate client expectations to provide quality service.
· Predict client behaviors and propose strategies that resolve/respond to customer service challenges.
|Technology||PCO-1.4 Evaluate the influence of technology and its impact on the delivery of quality service.|
· Describe the benefits and limitations of various technologies and how they affect the ability to provide quality service.
· Examine emerging technology to determine the possible impact of these changes on service excellence.
· Select and use technology in the delivery of quality service.
Apply effective communication skills needed to maintain quality service in the public and human service pathway.
Reading and Writing
|PCO-2.1 Acquire information from documents to enhance workplace communication.|
· Read and interpret information needed to interact with clients and provide service excellence.
· Interpret and apply service industry terminology in order to communicate effectively and properly respond.
|PCO-2.2 Record and convey information to effectively communicate.|
· Use technical terms to describe products, procedures, and equipment specific to the industry.
· Apply correct spelling, grammar and punctuation in written documents to communicate clearly.
· Transcribe, document and communicate information, data and observations clearly and precisely to maintain quality service.
· Use current technologies such as emails, text messages, etc. and assess the impact of cyber and legal etiquette on the transmission of information and the delivery of service.
· Use computational skills to solve industry-related mathematical problems to communicate pertinent information.
|Oral||PCO-2.3 Use oral communication skills to convey information in the delivery of quality service.|
· Adapt communication techniques to effectively express precise verbal directions and to ensure that proper procedures are followed.
· Use appropriate terminology in a clear, concise, accurate and persuasive manner to communicate effectively.
· Determine ways to overcome barriers to communication.
· Perform active listening skills using reflection, restatement, and clarification techniques to communicate a relevant issue, concern or plan.
· Adjust the verbal complexity to communicate a message to meet audience (age, culture, diversity, special concerns, etc.) needs.
|Interpersonal||PCO-2.4 Apply interpersonal skills to build positive relationships within an organization or with a customer/client.|
· Use nonverbal cues, body language and feedback to enhance communication.
· Determine how first impressions and interpersonal skills contribute to quality service.
· Contrast individual leadership styles and group dynamics to work effectively as a team member.
· Compare and contrast how relationships are affected by diversity, values, beliefs and practices of different cultures and generations and how it impacts service.
|Interaction with Clients||PCO-2.5 Analyze and apply problem solving strategies to appropriately manage interactions with clients.|
· Differentiate levels of service delivery on client satisfaction and determine modifications/improvements.
· Critique problem solving methods for appropriateness in quick decisions or immediate responses.
ü Quality (giving attention, empathy, timeliness, etc.)
ü Environment (ambiance, atmosphere, etc.)
· Adapt appropriate problem solving methods to evolving and/or changing circumstances or different situations.
· Apply appropriate negotiation, mediation and conflict resolution techniques to maintain relationships among team members and with clients.
· Summarize stressful triggers or situations and explain how to avoid or minimize likelihood of danger or harm.
Appraise safety measures and practice healthy behaviors in the workplace to ensure quality service.
|Safety & Risk Management||PCO-3.1 Assess workplace situations for potential safety hazards and determine appropriate responses to prevent injuries. |
· Validate the importance of maintaining a safe work environment.
· Evaluate a work environment for safety hazards and risk factors to mitigate potential risk factors (i.e. slips, burns, cuts, food poisoning, smoke inhalation, etc.).
· Describe the purpose and use of Materials Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), Hawaii Occupational Safety and Health (HIOSH), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and its relationship to workplace safety.
· Assess emergency procedures for crises such as public disturbance, fire, or a natural disaster to ensure the safety and protection of others.
· Evaluate the proper clean-up and disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous materials to provide a safe workplace.
· Use a threat assessment model to identify, characterize and assess risk.
· Assess the proper use of body mechanics (lifting, bending, carrying, etc.) to safely move objects and the consequences of ignoring body mechanic principles.
|Health and Wellness||PCO-3.2 Evaluate how the health & wellness of employees affect their ability to deliver quality service.|
· Appraise the fundamentals of physical and mental wellness to influence healthy behavior choices.
· Evaluate environmental influences (media, culture, family income, etc.) that affect wellness in the workplace.
· Practice behaviors (stress management, nutrition, exercise, injury prevention, avoidance of substance abuse, etc.) to promote a healthy lifestyle.
Evaluate the impact of legal and ethical principles on the delivery of quality service in the public and human services industry.
|Legal and Ethical Principles||PCO-4.1 Analyze legal and ethical behaviors affecting the decisions of public and human service professionals.|
· Evaluate common ethical practices within selected public and human services industries to foster proper behaviors in the workplace.
· Identify behaviors or practices to protect customer/client privacy and confidentiality and prevent liability or negligence.
· Describe the purpose of regulatory organizations (i.e. Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, Food and Drug Administration, etc.) in order to make appropriate decisions relating to clients.